For information about how to join Sigma Tau Delta and what we do, go to:
By appointment. Please send an email.
Ph.D. Yale University
B.A. University of California Berkeley
Areas of Specialty:
- 20th century American Literature
- World War I
- American Modernism
- Visual Culture/Propaganda Posters
- Gender Studies
- The New Death: American Modernism and World War I, University of Virginia, 2013.
- Picture This! World War I Posters and Visual Culture, ed. Pearl James, University of Nebraska Press, 2009.
- “Citizen-Consumers in the American Iconosphere During World War I,” in World War I and American Art, ed. Robert Cozzolino, David Lubin, and Anne Classen Knutson, Princeton University Press and the Philadelphia Academy of Art, 2016.
- “Propaganda,” in The Cambridge History of American Great War Literature and Culture, ed. Timothy Dayton and Mark Van Wienan, 2020.
- “World War I Regenders America,” in Teaching Representations of the First World War, ed. Debra Rae Cohen and Douglas Higbee, MLA, 2017.
- "A Catholic Boyhood: The Newman School, The Newman News, and Monsignor Fay” in F. Scott Fitzgerald in Context, edited Bryant Mangum, Cambridge University Press, 2013
- "The Great Gatsby and the Context of World War I," in Approaches to Teaching The Great Gatsby, ed. Jackson Bryer and Nancy VanArsdale, MLA, 2009.
- "The Failure to Mourn in Faulkner’s Sartoris," in Modernism and Mourning, ed. Patricia Rae, Bucknell University Press, 2007.
- "'The Enid Problem': Dangerous Modernity in One of Ours," in Cather Studies, vol. 6: History, Memory, and War, ed. by Steven Trout, Univ. Nebraska Press, 2006.
- "History and Masculinity in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s This Side of Paradise." Modern Fiction Studies 51.1 (2005): 1-33.
Work in Progress: The Authenticity Effect in Hollywood War Films (monograph)