Ph.D., University of Virginia; B.A. Wesleyan University
Areas of Specialty:
- nineteenth-century British literature and culture
- gift theory; literature and economics
- gender and sexuality
- Victorian poetry, science fiction, literary annuals
- Giving Women: Alliance and Exchange in Victorian Culture (Oxford U. P., 2012; in paperback January 2014) http://www.amazon.com/Giving-Women-Alliance-Exchange-Victorian/dp/019936494X/ref=sr_1_1_title_2_pap?ie=UTF8&qid=1382973897&sr=8-1&keywords=giving+women+alliance+and+exchange
- Economic Women: Essays on Desire and Dispossession in Nineteenth-Century British Culture, co-edited with Dr. Lana Dalley (The Ohio State U.P., 2013) http://www.amazon.com/Economic-Women-Dispossession-Nineteenth-Century-British/dp/0814212360/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1382973985
- "Greed, Generosity, and Other Problems with Unmarried Women's Property." Forthcoming, Victorian Studies.
- "Friendship and Intimacy: Competition, Common Interest, and the 'Aspect of Relationship' in Gaskell's Wives and Daughters." Forthcoming, Palgrave History of British Women's Writing: Volume 6, 1830-1880. [Invited.] Ed. Lucy Hartley.
- "Economics, the Market, and Victorian Culture." Victorian Literature: Criticism and Debates. Ed. Lee Behlman and Anne Longmuir. [Invited.] London: Routledge, 2016: 393-401. Economics_RoutledgeVolume_Rappoport.pdf
- "Wives and Sons: Coverture, Primogeniture, and Married Women's Property." BRANCH: Britain, Representation, and Nineteenth-Century History. Ed. Dino Franco Felluga. Extension of Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net. [Invited.] Web. http://www.branchcollective.org/?ps_articles=jill-rappoport-wives-and-so...
- “Jane’s Inheritance.” Victorians Institute Journal Digital Annex 38 (2010).
- “The Price of Redemption in ‘Goblin Market.’” Studies in English Literature. 50.4 (Autumn 2010): 853-75. SELGoblinMarketarticle.pdf
- “Conservation of Sympathy in Cranford.” Victorian Literature and Culture. 36.1 (March 2008): 95-110. CranfordRappoportVLC2008.pdf
- “Buyer Beware: The Gift Poetics of Letitia Elizabeth Landon.” Nineteenth-Century Literature. 58: 4 (March 2004): 441-73. LEL Article.pdf