Janet Eldred; Janet Carey Eldred; JCM Eldred
Office Hours (Spring 2015) On sabbatical
Ph.D. University of Illinois, Urbana
Areas of Specialty:
- Creative Writing (essay, creative nonfiction; formal and narrative poetry)
- Editing & Publishing
- Women's Rhetorical History
- Technology & Literacy Studies
- More Sonnets from the Portuguese (poetry, forthcoming Whitepoint Press)
- Sentimental Attachments: Essays, Creative Nonfiction, and Other Experiments in Composition. Heinemann, 2005. (creative nonfiction & essays)
- Princes, Paupers, or Summer Flies: Touring the Imagined Azorean Homeland. Proceedings of the Sharing Cultures 2013 Intangible Heritage Conference. Greenlines, 2013.
- Traveling Literacies. (essay response) in Feminist Rhetorical Resilience. Eds. Elizabeth Flynn, Patricia Sotirin, and Ann Brady, eds. Boulder: Utah State Univ. Press, 2012. 82-87.
- When Intangible Heritage Divides. Proceedings of the Sharing Cultures Conference 2011 Conference. Greenlines, 2011.
- The Siren Song of Intangible Heritage. Proceedings of the Sharing Cultures Intangible Heritage Conference, Greenlines 2009.
- "The Time of Lies." In Stepping on My Brother’s Head. Eds. Charles Schuster & Sondra Perl. Heinemann, 2010. 77-92.
- “Composition, or a Case for Experimental Critical Writing.” In Labor, Writing Technologies, and the Shaping of Composition in the Academy, eds. Pamela Takayoshi and Patricia Sullivan, 2007
- "‘Just What the Muscles Grope For’" Fourth Genre 4.2 (2002): 169-73.
- "Modern Fidelity." Fourth Genre 3.2 (2001): 55-69.
- Untitled [Daughters of the University] Comp Tales: An Introduction to College Composition Through Its Stories. Eds. Richard H. Haswell and Min-Zahn Lu. Addison-Wesley, 1999.
- "Children at All Costs." Literal Latte 4.5 (1998) [Roy T. Ames Memorial Essay Award (2nd), Judge: Phillip Lopate], 8-12.
- "The Technology of Voice." College Composition and Communication 48.3 (1997): 334-47. Reprinted as "Technology's Strange, Familiar Voices" in Passions, Pedagogies, and 21st-century Technologies. Eds. Gail E. Hawisher & Cynthia Selfe. Utah State University Press, 1999; Rpt. in Literacies and Technologies: A Reader for Contemporary Writers, 1/e, by Robert P. Yagelski, Longman Publishing, July 2000.
Editing, Literature, Literacy
- Literate Zeal: Gender, Editing, and the Making of a New Yorker Ethos. University of Pittsburgh Press, 2012 (hardcover); 2014 (paper). Chinese edition forthcoming 2016.
Rhetorical History and Literacy Studies
- Imagining Rhetoric: Composing Women of the Early United States (with Peter Mortensen). University of Pittsburgh Press, 2002.
- "Figuring Culture and Literacy in Cather's 'Paul's Case.'" Journal of Narrative and Life History 3.2-3 (1993): 299-318.
- "Reading Literacy Narratives" (with Peter Mortensen). College English 1992.
- "Narratives of Socialization: Literacy in the Short Story." College English 1991.
- Graça's Dilemma (poetry)
- Nonfiction Book on Intangible Heritage in Azorean-American Communities
- Essay on Emily Hahn