Ph.D. Rutgers University
Areas of Specialty:
- Post-WWII American literature and culture
- American Film and Television
- Cold War Studies
- American Studies, with an emphasis on the representation of race
- Television in Black-and-White America: Race and National Identity. UP Kansas, 2005.
- Flatlining on the Field of Dreams: Cultural Narratives in the Films of President Reagan's America. Rutgers UP, 1997.
- Containment Culture: American Narrative, Postmodernism, and the Atomic Age. Duke UP, 1995.
- Invisible Criticism: Ralph Ellison and the American Canon. U Iowa P, 1988; paperback, 1991.
- (Editor.) May All Your Fences Have Gates: Essays on the Drama of August Wilson. U Iowa P, 1994.
- "God's Law and the Wide Screen: The Ten Commandments as Cold War 'Epic'." PMLA, May 1993, 415-430 (winner of the Modern Language Association 1993 William Riley Parker Prize).
- "Reading the Body: Alice Walker's Meridian and the Archeology of Self." Modern Fiction Studies, Spring 1988, 55-67 (winner of 1988 "Margaret Church MFS Memorial Prize").
- Poetry in: Georgia Review, New England Review, Paris Review, Partisan Review, Shenandoah, Sycamore Review.