- Statement of Purpose: The statement of purpose should discuss your creative interests, the specific genre (creative nonfiction, fiction, or poetry) you would like to pursue, and how your interests and goals fit with those of the English Department. 1-2 pages, single-spaced.
- Writing Sample: The writing sample should be creative work, not analytical prose, 10-25 pages, and should include poems, fiction, or creative non-fiction. Formatting: double-space all prose, begin each new piece on a new page, and include your name and the page number on each page of the document.
- Unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended. If an applicant is offered and accepts admission, the Graduate School will require official transcripts.
- Applicants should have a minimum 2.75 on a 4.0 scale undergraduate grade point average and a 3.00 on all graduate work.
- University of Kentucky graduates should note their degrees on the application but are not required to submit transcripts.
- Letters of Recommendation: Contact information for three people who can evaluate your qualifications for graduate work in creative writing. Please email your recommenders to let them know that the Graduate School will contact them for a letter of recommendation which they can upload into the system.
- CV or Resume
PLEASE NOTE: Neither the GRE subject test, nor the general GRE is required.
Language testing for International Students: Test scores can be self-reported in the application, however official scores should be sent directly from the testing agency. TOEFL iBT: Institution Code: 1837, Program Code: 99, Minimun Score: 79. IELTS: Institution Code: University of Kentucky Graduate School, Lexington, Kentucky, Minimum Score: 6.5 Overall Mean Band Score. Applicants from Nigeria, who will submit a 4-year awarded Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Nigeria, are exempt from the TOEFL requirement.
- The application fee is $65 for domestic and $75 for international applicants and is payable online.
- Teaching Assistantship Application. Please fill out this form and upload to the online application. Teaching Assitantships included a stipend of at least $17,000/year, tuition waiver, and health care.