2017 DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin on January 15, and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The final deadline to submit all application materials for consideration in March 1st.
We encourage applicants to visit the English Department to learn more about our graduate program, see the campus and our facilities, and meet with faculty and graduate students to discuss interests and goals.
All materials must be submitted via an online application system: http://www.research.uky.edu/gs/ProspectiveStudents/Admission.html
The required applications materials include the following:
- Statement of Purpose: The statement of purpose should discuss your creative interests, the specific genre(s) you would like to pursue, and how your interests and goals fit with the English Department. 1-2 pages, single-spaced.
- Writing Sample: The writing sample should be creative work, not analytical prose, 10-25 pages, and may include a selection of poems, fiction, or creative non-fiction. Formatting: double-space all prose, begin each new piece on a new page, and include your name and the page number on each page of the document.
Unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended. If an applicant is offered and accepts admission, the Graduate School will require official transcripts.
- Applicants should have a minimum 2.75 on a 4.0 scale undergraduate grade point average and a 3.00 on all graduate work.
- University of Kentucky graduates should note their degrees on the application but are not required to submit transcripts.
- Letters of Recommendation: Contact information for three people who can evaluate your qualifications for graduate work in creative writing. Please email your recommenders to let them know that the Graduate School will contact them for a letter of recommendation which they can upload into the system.
- CV or Resume
- GRE not required for admission to the MFA program. Official copy of GRE required upon enrollment: These scores should be sent directly from Education Testing Service (ETS). The institution code for the UK Graduate School is R1837. The code for English is 2501. Note: conditional admission may be recommended pior to receipt of official scores. These requirements will be monitored by the Graduate School and must be met prior to the date set for priority registration during the first semester of enrollment. Students will not be allowed to priority register if these requirements are not met.
- Application Fee. You can pay the application fee on-line. The application fee is $65 for domestic and $75 for international applicants.
To schedule a campus visit or to receive additional information about graduate programs in English at the University of Kentucky, please e-mail Laura Prather, Department Manager Associate, at email@example.com, or call 859-257-6895, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm EST.