Ph.D. University of Illinois, Urbana
Areas of Specialty:
- Essay and Creative Nonfiction
- Literacy Studies
- History of U.S. Composition and Rhetoric
- Instructional Technology
- Editing and Publishing
Essays and Creative Nonfiction:
- Heritage 101 or the Obligation to Write, Forthcoming in Revelations, Lies, Loves, and Loss; eds. Charles Schuster and Sondra Perl.
- Composition, or a Case for Experimental Critical Writing. In Labor, Writing Technologies, and the Shaping of Composition in the Academy, eds. Pamela Takayoshi and Patricia Sullivan, 2007.
- Sentimental Attachments: Essays, Creative Nonfiction, and Other Experiments in Composition. Heinemann, 2005.
- Modern Fidelity. Fourth Genre 3.2 (2001): 55-69.
- Children at All Costs. Literal Latte 4.5 (1998) [Roy T. Ames Memorial Essay Award (2nd), Judge: Phillip Lopate], 8-12.
- The Technology of Voice. College Composition and Communication 1997.
Rhetorical History and Literacy Studies
- Imagining Rhetoric: Composing Women of the Early United States (with Peter Mortensen). University of Pittsburgh Press, 2002.
- Figuring Culture and Literacy in Cather's 'Paul's Case.'" Journal of Narrative and Life History 3.2-3 (1993): 299-318.
- Reading Literacy Narratives (with Peter Mortensen). College English 1992.
- Narratives of Socialization: Literacy in the Short Story. College English 1991.
Literate Zeal: Editing, Gender, and the Making of a New Yorker Ethos
Literacy and Intangible Heritage in Azorean-American Communities