January 15th is the deadline for all application materials, and we only accept applications for matriculation in the fall semester. We encourage applicants to visit the English Department to learn more about our graduate program, see the campus and our facilities, and meet with faculty and graduate students to discuss interests and goals.
All materials must be submitted via an online application system: http://www.research.uky.edu/gs/ProspectiveStudents/Admission.html.
The required applications materials include the following:
- Statement of Purpose (1 - 2 pages). The statement of purpose should discuss your scholarly interest, any research directions you would like to pursue, and how your interests and goals fit into the English Department.
- Writing Sample (analytical prose, not creative work, 10 - 25 pages)
- Unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended. If an applicant is offered and accepts admission, the Graduate School will require official transcripts.
- MA applicants should submit transcripts showing completion of the equivalent of a University of Kentucky undergraduate major in English. Applicants who do not have an English major but a substantial background in literature should contact the Director of Graduate Studies.
- University of Kentucky graduates should note their degrees on the application but are not required to submit transcripts.
- Applicants should have a minimum 3.25 on a 4.0 scale undergraduate grade point average and a 3.00 on all graduate work.
- Official copy of GRE scores. These scores should be sent directly from Education Testing Service (ETS). The institution code for the UK Graduate School is R1837. The code for English is 2501. Applicants should have GRE reports showing scores at or above the 70th - 80th percentile for the verbal and analytical portions of the Graduate Record Exam.
- Letters of Recommendation from three people who can evaluate the applicant’s scholarship and qualifications for graduate work in English. Please email your recommenders to let them know that the Graduate School will contact them for a letter of recommendation that can be uploaded into the on-line system. Also, please provide the contact information for your recommenders.
- CV or Resume
- Teaching Assistantship Application. Please fill out this form and upload to the online application.
- Application Fee. You can also pay the application fee on-line. The application fee is $65 for domestic and $75 for international applicants.
To schedule a campus visit or to receive additional information about graduate programs in English at the University of Kentucky, please call us at 859-257-7008.